Sunday, October 18, 2009

Climbing!

Yesterday I went climbing with a couple of expats. I am trying to remember the last time I went climbing outdoors. It may have been before Peace Corps, perhaps as early as 2004.

We set up topropes at this cliff, and setting up the anchors felt foreign to me. I realized that I'd forgotten how to tie some of the knots and hitches that come in handy, and was having trouble visualizing the anchor set-up (it was somewhat inconvenient, and the longest anchor I've ever seen). It was a strange feeling, because everything used to be second-nature. One of the guys I went with is an accomplished climber, and we were able to set up a safe system.



After we set up the anchors, I rappelled first, feeling the rope run through my hand while backing myself over the edge. At first I felt like I was doing everything in slow-motion, while checking and re-checking my steps in my head. It was going to take some time to get comfortable on rock again.

Everyone did a couple of climbs, and a Tajik local who lived near the cliff showed up, with his own shoes, and climbed a couple of the routes.

Here's me on the first route I tried.





Eric rapelling


This is Jumaboy, the local climber.

No comments:

Post a Comment